Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama - I Have A Dream



Senator Obama, the first African-American presidential nominee of a major US party, delivers his convention speech on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s ‘I have a dream’. And people are comparing the two moments, persuaded, as they appear to be, that the senator is the best political orator in a generation. As he enters onstage, he is widely expected to walk on water. He will speak from an elaborate columned platform resembling a miniature Greek temple, and so the cult of Obamania shall be inaugurated.

Cranmer has been sent an advanced copy of the senator’s speech, which somewhat apes Dr King’s ‘dream’ theme. It is replete with political insight, spiritual conviction, economic strategy and foreign policy nous. It is a most impressive presidential bid, and one which will present Senator McCain with considerable challenges:

Friends, Americans, Countrymen.

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

This is all one gets from Senator Obama - warm wishes and nice words. Doubtless he does believe in angels, and indeed that they help him cope with the slings and arrows of political fortune. But Cranmer is quite sure they will not be fixing the election for the Democrats, and he is equally sure that Senator Obama will not lead Americans to the Promised Land.

8 Comments:

Blogger Homophobic Horse said...

The promised land of equality will never come to be owing to race and IQ.

Remember, reason and reality are "authoritarian weapons." Ergo, egalitarians are unreasonable and unrealistic.

QED.

28 August 2008 at 18:19  
Blogger mckenzie said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4XiqvDX9Y

A picture a took early this summer.
Location: Llandwyn Island, Anglesey.

http://uploads.bizhat.com/view/310036

Feel free to do with it as you please.

28 August 2008 at 18:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama is a Marxist and he is friends with a terrorist that bomb the US Capitol. This guy will not win in November.

28 August 2008 at 19:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems we have a long way to go before the gathering of all humans is "radiant and reconciled." Our world has become a rather cramped place, and we can not really continue to ignore the idea of a single global community. Peace is not going to be possible without some degree of humanistic change. In the Divine order, there are no inferior beings, and all beings capable of reasoning are part of the same humanity.
Whether worshiped or denied, God is still present in man's heart. All too often we gear the words, "I am useless, I am worthless." These feelings of weakness and failure are proof that human beings have a natural desire to contribute and be useful to their fellow humans.
When we curse in our hearts in frustration, who is it we speak to?
Jaques Brel, an artist and humanist who enjoyed defying God:

You, you if you were the good Lord
You would light up parties for beggars.
You, you if you were the good Lord
You would be more giving of blue skies.
But you are not the good Lord
You, you are better than that,
You are a man!

But in human frustration lies hope and work for the realisation of a project that will not be seen completed and that will not be experienced. Eternity, it is said, is timeless, but difficulty is a sign of accomplishment and in this common purpose we can strive for universalism, which is the cradle of peace. Peace is universal, and humanity is the life force behind it. For me, "while God is in Heaven, all is right with the world."

28 August 2008 at 20:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Obama is a Marxist and he is friends with a terrorist that bomb the US Capitol. This guy will not win in November."

Oh! Really. This is very strange. very strange indeed. Is this what you think? I have not heard of this. Who knows what can be done. I wonder whether this can be true. This monotone way of speaking is hurting my brain.

28 August 2008 at 20:13  
Anonymous hear o israel said...

it appears more to be "i have a hope" speech

i keep thinking back to the berlin speech and it all felt wrong as soon as said it .

i also seem to think that we dont know anything about his politics . it is very easy to be the senator of handouts . if he is a marxist he will fail , i dont think the americans will want that rubish all over again.

28 August 2008 at 22:01  
Blogger dizzyfatplonka said...

They make such a big deal about whether the US is ready for a Black American President but I ask myself if when the Blacks are finished stuffing it up will they ever be ready for a Native Navajo as President or do natives not get a look in anymore unless it is Africa we are talking about and they happen to be Black

29 August 2008 at 16:21  
Blogger Chalcedon said...

'Ang on, he's only half black or half white. Which is it? Does it matter?

31 August 2008 at 18:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older