Friday, June 19, 2009

MPs expenses - the humorous side

Cranmer is highly amused by this from The Daily Mail:

And this from The Times:

And this from The Daily Telegraph:

Any others gratefully received, for they lift His Grace's spirits immeasurably.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does Your Grace need your spirits lifting?

19 June 2009 at 13:27  
Blogger McKenzie said...

The Great Freedom of Information Redaction of 2009. It will be amusing for sociology students of the future. As will most things pertaining to this farcical government, but I think there will be much scratching of heads and bewilderment at the people in general.

19 June 2009 at 14:10  
Blogger McKenzie said...

I think I will be a 'source' of unwitting testimony for future history researchers that there was at least one individual who displayed untwat-like cheacteristics.

19 June 2009 at 14:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MATT in the Torygraph cracked me up :-)

19 June 2009 at 15:41  
Blogger Archbishop Cranmer said...

Thank you, and added.

19 June 2009 at 15:47  
Blogger Gnostic said...

I think the blank blank blank lot of them should be told to blank blank and go blank blank blank blank themselves...

19 June 2009 at 15:51  
Blogger McKenzie said...

For those of you who, like me, have to Google our selves through life, I will save you some time with regards to the last cartoon. (No insult intended...The rest of can shut your face, it's all part of the unwitting testimony).

The Cherry Tree
by M. L. Weems

When George was about six years old, he was made the wealthy master of a hatchet of which, like most little boys, he was extremely fond. He went about chopping everything that came his way.

One day, as he wandered about the garden amusing himself by hacking his mother's pea sticks, he found a beautiful, young English cherry tree, of which his father was most proud. He tried the edge of his hatchet on the trunk of the tree and barked it so that it died.

Some time after this, his father discovered what had happened to his favorite tree. He came into the house in great anger, and demanded to know who the mischievous person was who had cut away the bark. Nobody could tell him anything about it.

Just then George, with his little hatchet, came into the room.

"George,'' said his father, "do you know who has killed my beautiful little cherry tree yonder in the garden? I would not have taken five guineas for it!''

This was a hard question to answer, and for a moment George was staggered by it, but quickly recovering himself he cried:

"I cannot tell a lie, father, you know I cannot tell a lie! I did cut it with my little hatchet.''

The anger died out of his father's face, and taking the boy tenderly in his arms, he said:

"My son, that you should not be afraid to tell the truth is more to me than a thousand trees! Yes - though they were blossomed with silver and had leaves of the purest gold!''

19 June 2009 at 16:34  
OpenID jamestheless said...

As I recall, The Good Soldier Svejk contained a letter from a soldier on the front line. After it had been through the military censorship, it read something like this:

Dear Mum and Dad,

We are near the village of _____. Yesterday we were _______ by the ______ and _______ ____ _______. I lost ______ playing _____ with _____ and ______. Tonight we had _______ for dinner. Oh, how I long for some _______ like we used to enjoy before the ___!

Things are ____ ________ but tomorrow we will ______ ____ ______ ___.

I hope this letter somehow manages to reach you and finds you well. Please give my love to ______.

Your loving son,

19 June 2009 at 19:41  
Anonymous Preacher said...

I note that Tony Blair's expense sheet is totally blank, or maybe that should be totally Black, The lack of any figures tells more about foxy T.B than a whole pack of account books ever could.

19 June 2009 at 19:44  
OpenID jamestheless said...


In the reports I saw, he claimed £350 for shredding services. Rather ironic seeing that a few years ago his claims were "accidently" shredded by Westminster officials while they were the subject of an ongoing legal challenge!

He also claimed £7000 for a new roof a mere two days before standing down. At least he can't be accused of failing to fix the roof while the sun was shining. Unlike his successor, if we are to believe the economic commentators.

19 June 2009 at 20:03  
Anonymous Preacher said...

To true, makes you wonder about what else was under the ink or gone through the shredder though!

19 June 2009 at 20:37  
Anonymous Bethel said...

Your Grace
I confess deep confusion. How have these poor chaps managed to claim the costs of their tarts and pro's back? There's ne'er a hint on them there forms, nor in the pages of the Telegraph. Methinks they aren't as daft as they make out.

19 June 2009 at 21:11  
Blogger Rebel Saint said...

Seems like the fees office have employed their very own bombardier Yossarian to me. Isn't this the way he used to amuse himself whilst recovering from his slight pain in the kidney?!

I'm sure there's something a bit Catch22 about this whole scenario, but I can't quite but my finger on it.

20 June 2009 at 00:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older