Monday, January 04, 2010

Cranmer recants and joins the Twitterati

His Grace has a confession...

He has joined the Twitterati (@His_Grace).

Yes, he knows he once derided it is a cacophony of inane flashes of gossip and damp squibs of naught; ephemeral bleats of gossamer and fatuous cock and bull; characterless whisperings of vanity, idle trivia, airy utterings, colourless rumours and hollow streams of consciousness which seeks to reduce everything to the superficial sound-bite of a Sun headline...

And he said he would never join.

Well, never is only a long time unless it's in politics (or purgatory).

And he presently dwells in the purgatorial periphery of politics.

So he has recanted and signed up.

And he is somewhat bemused that he has 130 followers out of the blue.

He looks forward to discovering its meaning and purpose (not to mention its jargon and functionality).


Blogger DDIM 'n HOFFI said...


4 January 2010 at 22:01  
Anonymous Zach Johnstone said...

I for one am pleased. Although not a Tweeter myself, I'll be sure to check regularly for more frequent, if less elaborate, political insight from Your Grace.

4 January 2010 at 22:27  
Blogger PaulineG said...

The what?

4 January 2010 at 22:29  
Blogger Don't Call Me Dave said...

It's the end of the world as we know it.

4 January 2010 at 22:53  
Blogger Jonathan Hunt said...

Good man.

4 January 2010 at 23:02  
Blogger Gnostic said...

That's a good 'un, Your Grace. I didn't know you did stand-up.

Er...You are joking aren't you? Aren't you?

4 January 2010 at 23:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Grace

Best wishes as you twitter.

And does anyone know the past tense of the verb "to twitter"? I am unfamiliar with tweeting and the like, I don't text (though I receive unsolicited ones)?

Also (not related) where is D. Singh? I hope he is ok.


4 January 2010 at 23:09  
Anonymous Zach Johnstone said...

Anon -

The infinitive form of the verb is 'to tweet', not 'to twitter'. So the past participle would be 'tweeted' I would suppose...

4 January 2010 at 23:26  
Blogger DDIM 'n HOFFI said...

Having seen your followers already I am not so inclined to be so reckless with my words Your Grace. This is going to require higher doses of medication God dam you!

4 January 2010 at 23:34  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You've got 131 now! Happy New Year from Sicily.

4 January 2010 at 23:58  
Anonymous Morus said...

Your Grace - I am one of the 130 (@Morus1516). having noticed that Tim Montgomerie of ConservativeHome announced your joining.

I hope you shall find it as interesting a tool as I do - there is a certain discipline to the 140 characters, and balancing the group of people you follow so that they present a constnt smorgasbord of interesting news and information just outside of your regular political peripheral vision is an art in itself.

Good luck, and enjoy!

5 January 2010 at 00:00  
Anonymous prophet said...

His Grace
a resounding
a clash of
for the flames

5 January 2010 at 01:38  
Anonymous non mouse said...

Well - I'll make it 132. If only to see how the thing works, and whether it links back to here!

I believe in spreading YG's fame as far and wide as possible.

Anonym - D. Singh did say 3 weeks; I'm not sure it's up yet. And I think he did get through to us once on someone else's computer.

5 January 2010 at 06:47  
Blogger Bishop Alan Wilson said...

and should yr Grace ever come to the fire, you may consign only your right index finger first to the flames: “Insofar as this finger hath tweeted preemptorily it shall first be punished, etc."

Rather less bother than the whole right hand...

5 January 2010 at 07:26  
Anonymous non mouse said...

Well now, I assume they're trying to be 'user friendly.' Here's how they explain everything!!!

"Twitter's core technology is a device agnostic message routing system with rudimentary social networking features. By accepting messages from sms, web, mobile web, instant message, or from third party API projects, Twitter makes it easy for folks to stay connected...."

It's the agnostic bit that gets me. I wouldn't have thought that was quite right, about YG!!!

5 January 2010 at 07:34  
Blogger Frugal Dougal said...

Looking for @His_Grace unsuccessfully; I regret to inform Your Grace that you appear to have (re-)disappeared into the ether...

5 January 2010 at 08:33  
Anonymous Knighthawk said...

Your Grace,

Beware of little sins. Like little foxes they ruin the vineyards that are in bloom. (see Song of Songs 2:15)

You blasted Twitter with caustic and well deserved criticism yet in little more than the twinkling of an eye have been seduced into membership. This is what comes of Churchmen mixing with Politicians, you have soiled your Surplice, become like one of them, said one thing and done another. You have performed a U-Turn.

But it is only Twitter. It's only a little U-Turn.

5 January 2010 at 09:52  
Anonymous Dick the Prick said...

Your Grace

I'd be inclined to wager that you get bored of it very quickly. I accidently joined last year and got nearly 900 followers and after about 2 weeks just went back to texting my mates with the classic short message 'boozer? 6ish? Top Wethers?'

Not much else to say really.

As always


5 January 2010 at 12:37  
Blogger Archbishop Cranmer said...

Mr Dick the Prick,

His Grace may have a much greater boredom threshold. He expects nothing like 900 followers, but your reversion to texting after just two weeks may have something to do with the fact that you joined 'accidentally'. His Grace is not sure how this is possible, unless your mind, limbs and digits are out of control.

5 January 2010 at 13:22  
Anonymous non mouse said...

Frugal Dougal - Twitter was overcapacitated earlier today, but I've found His Grace now at:

Meanwhile, I've been fascinated to find that my computer newsfeeder includes the posts in its headlines. I assume this must be because I clicked on the RSS feed from Your Grace's twitter site.

5 January 2010 at 15:18  
Blogger DDIM 'n HOFFI said...

A tip for HG. If you follow Goodbye Buddy he will alert you when ppl stop following you for whatever reason they decide, but Goodbye Buddy hardly ever tweets and follows none, but he is very useful for returning the complement when you get ditched by twaats as opposed to tweets.

5 January 2010 at 16:59  
Blogger Anabaptist said...

To tweet:

I tweet
Thou tweetest
He/she tweeteth
We tweet
You tweet
They tweet

I tweeted
Thou tweetedst
He/she tweeted
We tweeted
You tweeted
They tweeted

I shall tweet
Thou shalt tweet
He/she shall tweet
We shall tweet
You shall tweet
They shall tweet

Pretty easy, really, but second person singular always seems to confuse people.

5 January 2010 at 17:16  
Blogger DDIM 'n HOFFI said...

A Twaat

I am a Twaat
He is a Twaat
She is a Twaat
They are Twaats
We are Twaats

Stop Twaating really is that simple.

5 January 2010 at 19:05  
Blogger DDIM 'n HOFFI said...

Only joking of course. The Anabaptist is one of my favourite 'municants, and we are aware of our dire spelling and grammar deficiencies here in Ignorama Land but it's all part of what makes us so beautiful.

5 January 2010 at 19:09  
Blogger Tendryakov said...

I don't do it myself, but I like to promote a nice old-style past participle, namely "twitten": I have been twitten.

5 January 2010 at 22:11  
Anonymous BL@KBIRD said...

Congratulations your Grace on entering some new age or something.

I'll take the opportunity to alert my followers on Twitter that I expect my regular bowel movement in about 45 minutes or so.....stay tuned!

6 January 2010 at 00:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to anaptist @17:16
Thank you!

7 January 2010 at 01:45  
Anonymous Dick the Prick said...

Your Grace

Accidently in the sense of it seemed like a good idea at the time but quickly developed into more work than necessary.

Hope you have a splendid weekend


8 January 2010 at 16:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older