Sunday, January 09, 2011

Archbishop Cranmer's Spotify Playlist - Salvation Song

His Grace was asked a few weeks ago if he might submit a Spotify playlist to The Spectator Arts Blog.

He had no idea what they were talking about.

But he did a little digging round, and has been delighted to comply. His chosen theme is Salvation Song. The accompanying narrative speaks for itself.

For those who do not Spotify, it is free (if you're prepared to put up with advertisements at inappropriate junctures) and appears to be a veritable mine of wonders and glories. Those of His Grace's selection (he is fussy about conductors, choirs and orchestras) which were not available on Spotify have been embedded onto the Speccie blog from Youtube or MP3.

His Grace would like to thank Mr Simon Mason for doing all the technical stuff, and to Mr Peter Hoskin for cross-posting upon the Speccie's prestigious Coffee House blog.

He commends this glorious music to all of his readers and communicants: feel free to comment there - adulation and appreciation or derision and contempt.

His Grace can take both.


Anonymous not a machine said...

And you never requested zig zig sputnik I am shocked :)

9 January 2011 at 22:27  
Anonymous Zach Johnstone said...

Your Grace,

A delightful selection of music, in particular Beethoven's ‘Credo’ from Missa Solemnis. It's one of many pieces that I listen to repeatedly whenever I have an essay to write (there's something about Beethoven that seems to increase my productivity exponentially...).

9 January 2011 at 22:48  
Blogger Archbishop Cranmer said...

Mr Zach Johnstone,

You are too kind. And you are quite right about Beethoven (though His Grace couldn't conceive of having to write a distracting essay while listening to it: indeed, the listening may become mere hearing).

Perhaps you would be kind enough to make your comment upon the Speccie site: their Arts Blog doesn't appear to attract many communicants.

9 January 2011 at 22:59  
Anonymous Zach Johnstone said...

Your Grace,

Indeed - it is probably the case that I don't do the music full justice by confining it to the realms of background noise...

...but it's beautiful background noise, and it certainly gets plenty of airtime outside of study hours too!

I would be more than happy to comment on the Spectator site and shall do so now.

I hope all is well with you.

9 January 2011 at 23:24  
Blogger Chancellor More said...

What a great Credo to unite us all. This and the Lord's Prayer.

Well friends, although not all of you have been kind to me :o(, it's time I bid you a fond farewell.

Take care all of you and do try to lighten up ;o). Live's good and God wants us to enjoy ourselves. Kick the old enemy out with joy - not so much seriousness. Laughter and happiness is something he hates.

God loves us all, warts and all, and He wants us to love each other - Jew, Muslim, Catholic, Anglican, Protestant, man, woman, black, white, whatever label we attach to each other.

We're all brothers and sisters in Christ. Laugh, enjoy, LOVE, be happy. Worship Him, thank Him and Love each other; that's what He wants.

Apologies if I've offended anyone. Some of you have been pretty nasty to me and Mr.Eman. We're sensitive souls. Sometimes I get hacked off. You know what people can be like! No harm meant. Let's kiss and make-up.

Love you all - including 'Atlas shrug', 'KINGOFHIGHCR' and 'len', oh, not forgetting 'Preacher' and 'Oswin'. Don't be sooo nasty.

Special wishes to srizals (hope I spelt it right).

Behave all of you.

God Bless.

You never know we might just meet again. Fingers crossed, as they say.

Yours, Mr.Eman et al.

"The King's servant but God's first"


10 January 2011 at 01:57  
Blogger Chancellor More said...

Oh, meant to say watch a bit of TV and go to the cinema too.

I'm a working class lad so not that cultured. I see God in the strangest of places.

- Father Ted
- Dave Allen (God rest him)
- 'Till Death do we Part
- Football
- Cricket
- Billy Connelly
- X Factor
- The Who
- Stickly Come Dancing

The list is endless.

I still go to Mass on Sunday, do what I can to help my neighbour and drive with courtesy on the road.

Live is for living and loving.

See you. You never know I might just pop back and assume another identity. Can't resist a challenge!

God Bless.

10 January 2011 at 02:21  
Anonymous Atlas shrugged said...

Sorry your Grace I cannot think of a song at this moment that may help to provide salvation, for there would seem to be very few, and certainly very few well known, therefore popular ones.

Although I have thought of one in particular that may provide exactly the opposite type of thing, should you require one in the future.

It is called Imagine, by John Lennon.

A nice melody but surely a song that has the stench of the Anti-Christ all over it. A melodious ode to the works of A.Crowley, and co, if ever there was one. Which of course there are many hundreds of thousands.

Indeed the Beetles did not include A Crowley on the front cover of one of their most famous albums, just to fill in an otherwise empty space.

Indeed all popular music seems tom be to a greater or lesser extent influenced by the works of A.Crowley, and the many like him that came from before and afterwards.

Popular music is almost entirely the work of the devil, as also the vast majority of all the best/well known classical music is as well.

Therefore I have these questions for your Grace.

Do you agree with my assertions?

If so, why so?

If not, why not?

Music in all of its forms is a very powerful force that can be used for good ends as well as bad ones.

However it would seem to me, that as a general rule music has been used over some considerable amount of time to propagate as much evil in the world as it can possibly be managed to do so.

Your Grace, your own personal opinion on this matter would be most welcome.

10 January 2011 at 06:36  
Blogger OurSally said...

I recommend some songs by Messiaen "Three little liturgies". Messiaen himself was a very devout Catholic.

A bit strange on a first hearing, they are really angels singing when they've had a bit too much ambrosia.

10 January 2011 at 09:43  
Anonymous Tony B said...

Some great stuff there; your inclusion of Genesis and Jon and Vangelis has caused you to rise vastly in my estimation.

10 January 2011 at 12:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Grace

A glaring omission?

Handel's Zadok The Priest

So Says Kingofhighcs

10 January 2011 at 17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I like:

I am the music man and I came from down your way,
What can you play,
I play the big bass drum


Old MacDonald had a farm
and on that farm there was a pig
with a
SNORT, SNORT here and a SNORT, SNORT there ...

Very, very uplifting.


Know what I mean?

10 January 2011 at 19:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and


Know what I mean?


10 January 2011 at 19:32  
Blogger Chancellor More said...

Hey people, I like a smoke at night with my guy; nice cool joint to help us sleep and dream.

I can dig John Lennon, man. Just Imagine the peace and quiet if we put all that crazy religion behind us and shared all the good stuff we have.

Anyway, I know it makes me tired during the day and means I can’t be bothered joining your game. Who gives a stuff? Need some space and room to breath.

Right, time for a nice, long smoke and a bit of the Beechboys – “Good Vibrations.”

Peace and Love.

10 January 2011 at 19:55  
Blogger Bugler said...

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too, if it happened to you
Play all my records, keep dancing all night
But leave me alone for a while

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too if it happened to you

11 January 2011 at 02:56  
Blogger Bugler said...

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took
But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule for
But I know that one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be

11 January 2011 at 03:03  
Blogger Bugler said...

Wonderful World
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

God Bless
Sleep tight
Don't let the bed bugs bite

11 January 2011 at 03:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older