Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Diarmaid MacCulloch to deliver lecture on Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, the man who shaped Anglican worship

Professor Diarmaid MacCulloch, presenter of the BBC’s History of Christianity - the first 3,000 years, which won the Radio Times Listeners' Award in 2010, is speaking at Shakespeare’s Globe on Wednesday 31 August (a bit of avanced notice).

The Heard Word: Pulpit vs Playhouse is a series of events at Shakespeare’s Globe which includes four lectures presented in association with Southwark Cathedral, celebrating the 400th Anniversary of the King James Bible. Diarmaid MacCulloch, Professor of the History of the Church in the Theology Faculty, St Cross College, Oxford, will examine the life of one of the most influential figures (His Grace says modestly) of the English Reformation when he delivers 'Thomas Cranmer: The Missing Preacher' at 7pm on Wednesday 31st August. The lecture is dedicated to the memory of the Very Revered Colin Slee, Dean of Southwark, who initiated the series.

Professor MacCulloch explains the importance of His Grace to the church: “Thomas Cranmer was a man at the heart of the Reformation, and so remains at the heart of worldwide Anglican identity. But his preaching is entirely lost to us: an astonishing silence for one of the great names in Protestant origins.”

He adds that his lecture will 'try to recover the real man who was a friend of kings and who shaped Anglican worship over the centuries'. As Archbishop of Canterbury, His Grace was a leading advocate of Henry VIII’s unprecedented divorce from Catherine of Aragon. He was also a key supporter of the translation of the Bible into English, and was instrumental in the completion of the Book of Common Prayer, helping to establish the first doctrinal and liturgical structures of the reformed Church of England.

The Bishop of Southwark, the Rt Reverend Christopher Chessun, comments on the lecture programme: "This series will be a great chance for everyone to re-discover the enduring beauty and appeal of the King James Version of the Bible and reflect on both its great impact on religious life and the English language. Diarmaid MacCulloch’s lecture on Cranmer will be an excellent opportunity to find out more about this important reformer. I am especially pleased that the Globe and Southwark Cathedral have been able to collaborate in this series and to acknowledge the contribution made by Colin Slee."


Blogger OldSouth said...

Thank you for this notice. Hopefully his remarks will be published for those of us who cannot attend.

1 June 2011 at 13:07  
Anonymous len said...

"The word of God is above the church" , was the principle that Cranmer expounded and it framed the whole of the Reformation in just eight words.

It was men of courage, Cranmer amongst them that dared speak this truth that led them on the path to martyrdom.
We need men of this calibre today in this darkening world to speak the truth of God`s Word without fear or hesitation!

1 June 2011 at 17:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for the gay agnostic MacCulloch.

1 June 2011 at 17:21  
Blogger Bred in the bone said...

The Globe, what a nice setting.

I have recently been reading about Michael Servetus, there is so much struggle, murder and intringe in the history of Chritianity and the struggle for freedom of conscience.

A freedom often abused.

I quite enjoy the whole east west Christendom dichotomy and Alexandria school philosophy but have never been sure where Anglicans fit into the picture.

1 June 2011 at 17:24  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

"Hooray for the gay agnostic MacCulloch."

But a friend of Christianity he says.

1 June 2011 at 17:50  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

I have to say I loved his recent series about the History of Christianity. Looking at his Wikipedia entry, he's described thus:

Diarmaid Ninian John MacCulloch MA, DD, (MA, PhD Cantab; Dip Theol Oxon; Dip Arch Admin Liv), FBA, FSA, FR Hist S

That must be hell to get on a business card.

1 June 2011 at 18:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong. I rather fancy him.

1 June 2011 at 19:57  
Anonymous tb said...

It's good, this. We hardly ever find Cranmer praising homosexuals or unbelievers; here he's killed two birds with one stone.

1 June 2011 at 21:19  
Anonymous tb said...

oh, and finally today we get to read an article that isn't Cranny blowing his own trumpet ;o)

1 June 2011 at 21:20  
Anonymous len said...

What the good of having a trumpet if you don`t blow it!.

God can use any person, even a gay, (God used a donkey once to speak to Balaam ) to further his Kingdom purposes .

Who`s having the last laugh?

1 June 2011 at 21:46  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

"God can use any person, even a gay, [] to further his Kingdom purposes."

Blimey. Talk about scraping the barrel.

1 June 2011 at 21:58  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

"(God used a donkey once to speak to Balaam )"

Well, Christians claim he did anyway. But let's face it, talking out of their ass comes naturally to some of them at times.

1 June 2011 at 22:01  
Anonymous judith said...

Prof McCulloch is one of THE great communicators. His recent series on the history of Christianity held ne and my husband spellbound, despite the latter's lifelong and militant atheism. The Prof was also the advisor on that delightful series about how to 'read' English country churches.

1 June 2011 at 22:58  
Anonymous len said...

When it comes to matters relating to the ass(and all things related ) I suppose you are an expert Danjo.

2 June 2011 at 06:46  
Anonymous len said...

Danjo, And as for'scraping the barrel'well youve` been there more than a few times yourself.Your responses and Dodos are getting remarkably similar.I realised (with E V`s help) that he is merely a troll,and his sole reason for appearing on this blog was to disrupt the thread,this appears to be your object too?
Lets hope Mr Macculloch takes a less unbalanced view of Christianity than yourself Danjo.

2 June 2011 at 06:55  
Anonymous len said...

One last thought.If you are training to be a Dr as you suggest,why are you spending so much time blogging, shouldn`t you be training or something?

Just a thought hope this helps.( with your medical career)

Bye for now.

2 June 2011 at 07:00  
Anonymous DanJ0 said...

Len: "When it comes to matters relating to the ass(and all things related ) I suppose you are an expert Danjo."

Excellent. I knew deep down it was all an act. What I am an expert in is getting people to reveal their inner selves. Not pretty when it comes out, is it?

I've no idea what you're on about with the doctor thing. That's a little bizarre and nothing to do with me. Are you confusing me with someone else?

2 June 2011 at 10:47  
Anonymous len said...

I was right you are a troll!!.

Walked right into that one !

I now put you in the same class as Dodo.

2 June 2011 at 11:45  
Anonymous len said...

One last word.
Advice given to His followers by Jesus Christ (for dealing with those of the World)

“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.(Matthew 10:16)

2 June 2011 at 11:52  
Anonymous DanJ0 said...

Len, you may call it what you will. I am consistent and open, and I make no bones about it. It serves me well at times to show the allegedly godly for what they are. I also make considered arguments on topics at times, balance the more sycophantic comments, and provide a critical position to the articles if they interest me. What did you do? Pointlessly quote scripture mostly. What do you do now? Hide in a pack and snipe from its centre in the hope that you won't have to justify your unfounded or lightweight political comments. You have no high ground there.

2 June 2011 at 12:17  
Blogger English Viking said...


It is Lakester that is training to become a Dr.

2 June 2011 at 13:48  
Anonymous len said...

I do not know how much you know about Christianity but anything Godly about me is because of the Holy Spirit(the Spirit of Christ.)
I hold no pretensions of any Godliness apart from that.
Sorry if I do not fit into your conception of what a Christian should(or should not be.)
Stereotyping is not very P C is it?.
I though you were sincere but like Dodo you are only interested in pursuing your own agenda, which basically seems to be forcing your own opinions on everyone else.As I mentioned elsewhere liberals seem to be very illiberal where others views are concerned.
If your only purpose coming here is to disrupt threads and 'wind people up' then this speaks volumes to me about you and your intentions.
Still if that is what amuses you please carry on, as this gives me, and other chances, to preach the Gospel to others who might be interested.

2 June 2011 at 15:01  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

Len: "As I mentioned elsewhere liberals seem to be very illiberal where others views are concerned."

Yes, an opinion you have chosen not to back up with names or examples despite my asking. No surprise there. You couldn't muster a retort about the magazine thing either. Easier to trot out a piece of bland scripture in lieu of thought, huh, or parrot some nonsense about liberals while not understanding what you're saying.

2 June 2011 at 18:00  
Anonymous len said...

You on a mission?
I will take it as a compliment.

3 June 2011 at 08:05  
Anonymous len said...

I think your attitude to 'gays'is quite insulting, your attitude to Atheists and Liberals too.

You seem to think that any article that Mr MacCulloch will present will be biased (your remarks suggest this.)

I have more faith in Mr MacCulloch`s integrity and do not pre judge him or his programme.

3 June 2011 at 08:13  
Anonymous DanJ0 said...

Len, it suggests it to you because you're pretty dim in the scheme of things. Dimness is probably a valuable attribute for being a god drone, but it's not that great for internet forums.

Like your mistaking me for a doctor trainee, you seem particularly vulnerable to grabbing the wrong end of a different stick. None of the things you say above is true.

3 June 2011 at 10:25  
Anonymous len said...


Sorry for accusing you of wanting to be a Dr.

Hope this helps. lighten up :)

3 June 2011 at 13:25  
Anonymous DanJ0 said...

Len, it's not a single mistake. Everyone makes those. It's that you haven't a clue generally ... yet you still try to keep up. Viking might be cartoonishly rude but he's a lot sharper than you I think and very probably playing a game. You do yourself no favours trying to emulate him. Really.

3 June 2011 at 14:04  
Anonymous len said...


I don`t have a problem with people being cleverer than me.I must admit you must be a very clever person.Atheism is for very clever people isn`t it?.

3 June 2011 at 15:24  
Anonymous len said...

Danjo, Since it was the seeking of wisdom that led to the fall of man, God decided to reverse the process.

For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."(I Corinthians 1 :19)

So one has to become a fool(dim even) to find the path to salvation.

So God has blessed me in my (dimness)for I found Him.


3 June 2011 at 15:32  
Blogger English Viking said...


It is no game, I assure you.

I'm not 'brave on the net'. I speak to people in everyday life as I speak to people here.

No-one likes me. I don't care.

4 June 2011 at 14:23  
Anonymous tb said...

Viking. I like you. Mwah.

4 June 2011 at 16:49  
Blogger DanJ0 said...

"No-one likes me. I don't care."

I was going to post a link to one of those "Jesus loves you. But everyone else thinks you're a ..." pictures but I lost my bottle. :)

4 June 2011 at 22:06  
Blogger English Viking said...


I love you too.



5 June 2011 at 18:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older